We’re going green this holiday season! Did you know that household waste increases nearly 25% between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day? We are well into the holiday season and we thought what better time to share our tips to reduce, reuse and recycle this year! With just a little effort you can save yourself time, money and stress while also saving the environment from an estimated million tons of waste each week!
First we’re talking shopping.
- Before shopping for your family or giving a list to gift buyers assess what you already have and make room for new items by donating what you no longer need.
- Take reusable cloth bags on shopping trips, this will help reduce the thousands of bags that end up in landfills during the holidays. If you can’t avoid using paper or plastic recycle them when you no longer need them.
- Gift giving, it may sound cheesy but sometimes the best gifts aren’t things. Giving someone your time and energy can mean so much more than giving them an item. Make a charitable donation in someone’s name. Or gift an experience like tickets to a sporting event or concert.
Next we’re discussing parties. There are so many parties to host and attend during the holidays. Here are some tips on how to keep your celebrations green!
- Send electronic invites/ holiday cards to reduce paper waste. If you prefer paper, you can purchase invitations made from 30% recycled paper.
- Instead of using paper or plastic plates and utensils consider using reusable dishware, silverware and linens. If you don’t have enough these items can easily be rented.
- Have bins for recycling and compost.
- Use decorations that can be reused for years to come or borrow decorations from friends that have had similar parties.
- During the holidays people tend to get rid of their old items and replace them with the latest versions and new presents. Set up an area at your party to collect lightly worn items to be swapped or donated! A great tip is to tie the collection into the theme of your party. If your hosting a family game night you can collect unwanted games.
After your holiday festivities give GreenDrop a call to schedule a charity home pickup or find a donation drop-off nearest you!