Americans throw away about 25% more trash between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Eve. Between the presents and the parties, the increase of waste isn’t a surprise but that doesn’t mean we have to accept this hike. There are many ways to make the usual holiday activities more sustainable.
Below are just a few ways you can enjoy the holidays more sustainable this year!
- Shop online or buy locally
- Donate to charity or organization in the name of a friend or family member that supports that cause
- Use creative materials for gift wrap: scarves or other fabrics, old maps or advertisements, incorporate a basket into your gift and give that as well.
- Buy snacks and beverages in bulk to avoid extra packaging
- Use washable silverware instead of plastic disposable utensils
- After all the gift giving and celebrating is finished, donate the items you no longer need or have room for to GreenDrop. This will help make the holiday more sustainable because instead of being thrown in a landfill your items will be either be recycled or sold to benefit great American charities!