The next few months will be filled with family gatherings to celebrate the upcoming holidays. It’s easy to get swept away in the holiday rush, but the day before guests arrive is no time to sort through drawers and clean out closets.
Focus on decluttering public areas like the kitchen, dining room, and living room. Remove unnecessary clutter off of counters and tables.
Of course, if you have the time it is best to do a full organizing sweep but if you’re in a pinch bag up the clutter and store it in the basement or out-of-the-way closet and sort after the guests depart.
Regardless of when you get your organizing done GreenDrop will be there to clear the clutter! Give us a call before or after the holidays to pick up the things you no longer need. Or you can drop-off at our donation centers any day of the week. Either way, GreenDrop will handle all the heavy lifting and provide you with a tax receipt. When you donate to GreenDrop you’re clearing the clutter from you home and helping national charity organizations.
Here are a few of our tips to organize your home around the holidays.
Kitchen: You may want to prioritize this space over others, as you don’t want to be sorting through clutter while cooking.
- If you are on hosting duty make sure your cooking and serving ware are up to your standards. Anything that isn’t can be donated to charity.
- Clear countertops of unnecessary appliances. Find a place in your cabinets for tea kettles, toasters, blenders and other appliances that currently reside on your counters.”
Dining Room: This next space is equally as important because you don’t want your guests shuffling around stacks of papers that have accumulated on the dining room table while trying to eat.
- Tuck important papers away to sort through later.
- Put other items that have found a home on your dining room table in their rightful place. If you don’t have a space for certain items you may want to consider donating them!
Living Room: Guests will gather in the living room after dinner to chat, watch the football game and relax. Is your clutter taking up too much room?
- If toys have taken up your adult space it’s time to sort. In a matter of weeks, kids will be getting new toys. Donate your gently used toys from last year to make space for guests and incoming gifts.
We hope these tips help you organize for the holidays! What other tips do you have prepping for extra houseguests!